Drina, my little agility star

Drina, my little agility star
Drina did everything with flair...

Friday, June 3, 2011

Kamikaze alert!

I've had a few glimpses of what type of agility partner Swift will be when we begin our training and trialing career.  These are frightening and scary visions.  The puppy seems to lack one little necessity for self preservation - FEAR!!!! 

This morning, as I prepared the crew's breakfast at the sink, I have 3 food bowls lined up that I am mixing various things into before I put on the Irish's gear (must wear snoods so as spaniel ears don't slop in their food).  In order to put on their snoods, I have Brag and Dare get on a step stool so I don't have to bend down to put on their head accessories.  Well, Swift immediately decided the step stool is somehow connected to eating so she began bouncing all around the stool as soon as I got her.  Today though, she tried something a little more bold.  She went to the top the step stool (where usually she just sits there and looks cute until I'm done preparing the meal) and all of a sudden, she took a flying leap at the food bowls which were still about a foot taller and a foot lateral of her (picture a red tri-color, smooth coated wombat).  Obviously she didn't make the jump onto the sink but she landed quite gracefully on the floor like a cat on all four feet from quite a long fall.  It doesn't shock me that a puppy would do such a thing.  What does shock me though is that instead of freaking out about the incident or deciding not to climb onto the stool again, Swift gets this look on her face like "YEEESSSSSS...IT WAS ALMOST IN MY GRASP!  ADJUSTMENTS FOR NEXT ATTEMPT...10 INCHES HIGHER AND 5 INCHES TO THE SIDE... AND THEN ALL THE FOOD WILL BE MINE!!!"

Then of course there is the part where she is not appropriately afraid of Brag after he put a huge hold in her head last Saturday.  She loves to do little "drive-bys" and he just looks at me and shrugs and asks me why I did this to him.  Poor guy.

And there is the flying monkey routine when escaping her xpen and launching onto the couch.  Doesn't seem to matter how many times she falls backwards while attempting, she keeps coming back for more. 

So yeah.  I can tell I'm going to be spending most of my time keeping Swift safe from herself when we actually move to obstacles in the future.  She reminds me a bit of Dare who has many of the same freaky traits...like the time she plowed into the dogwalk full steam and forgot to run with her legs so just bounced off with her chest.  That made a huge noise and HAD to hurt but she kept right on trucking.  Or like how Dare would keep doing the teeter tall end first instead of approaching from the end on the ground like dogs are supposed to!  Thank god Brag has some common sense...wish he would pass some along to these insane girls of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment