Drina, my little agility star

Drina, my little agility star
Drina did everything with flair...

Friday, September 2, 2011

Contact HIGH!!!

As the new owner of a herding breed (and also someone that has made lots of mistakes with her reactive dog, Dare) I have been pretty vigilant in looking for undesirable behavior from Swift and ensuring I address those immediately.  It is one of my grave fears that I'll be *that* person with the brilliant Border Collie that has lots of potential if only the ignorant owner would get a clue.  Really, I know that won't be me though I may make some mistakes I have a pretty good handle on raising crazy little Swiftie and am a pretty decent agility handler too. 

I've been really pleased with Swift's behavior in classes and how she interacts with other dogs and people.  She hasn't met a person/dog she didn't like and kids are the best!  Her ability to focus on me in the face of distractions has really impressed me.  I want to work hard to keep these great traits. 

That said, though...we have met the object that causes Swift's little brain to melt out her ears.  Said object = RAMP!  Long ago, at least a month, we did a few baby ramps with the puppies in class.  Of course they were on leash and while she was maybe a little faster than I would have liked for a little puppy, she did it very appropriately (keeping all body parts on the obstacle).  Last night, the ramp was again pulled out in class and again, her first ramp was good - actually stunning.  She cleared the apex  resulting in a picture perfect running ramp all the way down.  (No, I'm not actually intending to train her running contacts this way but it is fun to play and see where she is at from time to time.)  By the time our second turn came around, Swift had gotten herself good and lathered up by watching all the other puppies perform the obstacle.  I couldn't get her to focus on me very well and when I asked for a "down" (usually one of her favorites) I got a half crouch with her staring at the object of her affection rather than me.  That is probably where I should have picked her up, moved to a farther, less exciting location and worked on some attention.  But no, I got her set up to do the ramp again and first of all she took off so fast I had to run as fast as I possibly could to avoid her getting pulled back on her leash.  Second of all, she caught so much air at the top that she touched about the last inch of yellow on the bottom of the ramp before hitting the ground.  SCARY!  She was not concerned and in fact thought it was SUPER AWESOME.  That is the point in which my good sense prevailed and I decided to leave before she got even more out of control. 

And it really wasn't that she was being a complete freak or anything but in my quest for a "thinking" dog, I think it would be in our best interest to avoid the ramp before she can exhibit a little more self-control in the face of excitement.  Also, from what I have read about running contacts, the dogwalk is really the "money" obstacle and the one on which to focus your training while the ramp is more of a "gimme" that may just require some fine tuning.

So, just one more lesson learned with my sweet Swifter.  I'm sure there are lots to learn along the way!

1 comment:

  1. Ha...Ha...Ha! Alright I laugh at this because I just wrote about the same happening with AMP vs. A-frame! I as well decided it was possibly better to wait until another time to attempt the obstacle again...hahaha! Puppies are so fun though :)

    ReplyDelete