Drina, my little agility star

Drina, my little agility star
Drina did everything with flair...

Friday, September 16, 2011

Swifterpop update

Hard to believe but Swift is approaching her 6 month birthday.  I can't believe I'm saying this but I think of her in the time before 4 months old as "Swift light."  She has always kept me jumping but the past month has been beyond "active puppy" and more like covert, terrorist special agent.  Among the senseless destruction she leaves in her wake (shoes, bedding, pillows, floors, trim), her energy level has shot up beyond comprehension (I thought she was insane before!) and she now "notices" stuff.  I wish I would have known that my impending doom was coming so I could have made sure to enjoy the "easy" first few months.  Our first few agility trials were so lovely.  Swift sat quietly and sweetly in her kennel watching with interest everything around her.  She seemed oblivious to the balistic Border Collies that were racing around the course and was instead interested in playing tug ringside with me.  When Dare would lose her mind over the wacko squirrels running around the parkway on our walks she would just watch with mild curiousity.  At puppy school, she gave me her complete attention and focus on leash or off leash. 

Things have changed...

Here we come 'Control Unleashed' and 'Crate Games!'

Now when Swifter sees a squirrel it begins a long moaning and barking tirade with a little lunging for good measure.  I have reached the point where I have no idea how to better 'Swift-proof' my house and every surface above 5 feet tall is totally full of shoes, pillows, throw blankets and toys that Swift enjoys destroying.  All the pillows and sheets on my bed have tell tale holes in them from when she outsmarts me and gets into my room.  I have not found the key for getting her to take a nap.  We exercise constantly, and instead of tiring her out, she develops more endurance...it is a vicious circle!!!  I play games with her and teach her tricks and she wants more and more!  Going to puppy class has become a hot mess of late and now anytime she gets near a contact, she has to bark at it out of love and adoration.  If I allow her leash to get too long she will take the opportunity to hop on the contacts and give me a heart attack that she'll fall off.  Having Swift ringside is a very loud experience now.  Apparently she also has xray vision because if you take her out of sight, the noise doesn't stop...

Sigh...I'm so exhausted...

Now for the positive side of Swift...

-She loves people
-She is good with other dogs
-She loves kids
-She is the cutest Dingo dog ever!
-She has great focus and control in certain settings (it is bound to transfer to exciting environments sooner or later!)
-She is game for any adventure (see latest river venture below)!


I'm Swift!  Life is so EXCITING I just can't stand it!!
Barking is SUPER cool!

I've learned how to run REALLY fast!

...but sometimes I go so fast I can't put on the brakes without going ass over tea kettle



I come with rear-wheel drive standard!
Stalking things is SWEET!

I'm not a hunting dog that is just going to hang around for the humans to throw the bumper!


But if I get it, those suckers won't be getting it back!!
Unless Brag wants it back...he is SCARY!



No comments:

Post a Comment