Drina, my little agility star

Drina, my little agility star
Drina did everything with flair...

Friday, November 5, 2010

My dog, only older...

I think I caught a glimpse of what Brag will be in his "older" years a few days ago.  Being 8 1/2 years old isn't exactly a spring chicken I suppose but he still mostly behaves like a nutty youngster for sure.  The day after his surgery he was still slightly "off."  He was his usual happy self but his movements were maybe a little slower, slightly more careful and with less volatile force. 

When feeding Brag dinner he didn't jump quite as high to shove his head into his snood (I love when he does that) and didn't spin quite as quickly waiting for me to put his bowl down or hit it with the same intensity when I release him to eat. 

We took a walk Wednesday night as soon as I got home from work and it ended up being shorter than usual because Brag wasn't striding out as forcefully and made a point of hanging by my side for the duration.  I thought he might still be a little tired.  He's going to be a joyous old man though.  While he walked with me that night he kept looking up at me giving me the most adoring, endearing expressions.  Then I scratch his face which causes him to do his "dressage" happy trot/hop in perfect heal position (not that I've ever taught him to "heal" in obedience terms...Brag just thinks it is a super fun thing to do). 

I want to have these walks with Brag for a long time to come and not be cheated by death way too early.  Cancer stole Drina away from me when she was only a year older than her son is now...just shy of 10 years and so young in body.  When she got her first gray hair I'd worry about what I'd do with her when she became too old to run in agility trials.  I planned to do some tracking and maybe some tricks and lots of swimming and walks.  I worried she'd get jealous of the other dogs who would have to have more vigorous exercise than she would and how I would ever leave her behind if there wasn't room to kennel an unentered dog at a trial.  As it turned out, those concerns were for nothing. 

Maybe because I did see a little different side of Brag earlier this week or maybe because he has hit that age where any new lump/bump is panic-inducing or maybe because my friend's dog that is exactly his same age will most likely be dead very soon to stomach cancer (despite the fact that she still feels herself) has me thinking morbid thoughts.  I can't hold onto these worries too long however because they prevent me from doing the only thing I, or anyone can do -- enjoy and love your dog each day.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment